Our podcast guest, Ben Spooner, has several years of experience as an Army Officer at a battle post in Iraq, both in Intelligence as well as Executive capacities. I sat down with him to discuss his thoughts on activating a data driven work culture using data visualization and dashboards as primary weapons.
Here’s what we discussed:
- A complete dashboard lifecycle – from inception to decision-making
- How to build dashboards that drive decision making
- Up close and personal look at the data scientist who did data research and exploration at the front line trenches of insurgency in a war zone
- When is raw data the best form of reporting (instead of a fancy-schmancy dashboard)
- Two critical factors that fuels dashboard building process…They are C-words (hint: Curiosity and Collaboration)
- Data Driven culture has two key pursuits: truth and discovery. How to make a dashboard that builds this type of a data driven culture…
- How to deal with stakeholders who don’t appreciate the exploratory process of dashboard building… and how to set their expectations and empower them.
- Bonus: Self-correcting semi-autonomous system and its application to insurance claims processing…